Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Zzyzx

I-15 taken from Zzyzx Road


When daybreak came I was zooming through Victorville with the great desert encampment of Los Angeles fading in hazy distance behind.  It was a familiar theme—me striking out to the wilderness by myself.  Ahead lay the open Mojave Desert, mostly free from human encampment as Los Angeles used to be, except for Las Vegas. 











Many times, while traveling I-15 to points north, I have pondered a strange sign before Baker that reads “Zzyzx Next Exit.”  Today I would learn what it means.  I turned off on Zzyzx Road and entered Mojave National Preserve.





Zzyzx Road follows the edge of Soda Lake—a dry playa, empty of water except after heavy rain, I’m told.  Today it was very dry.  













Rising from the edge the lake, arid hills with hardly a stick of vegetation.  A few palm trees survive with almost no water.  










Long before people arrived here some 11,000 years ago, the land was much wetter.  Soda Lake was fed by the Mojave River, dry today, but then a slow, meandering stream lined with trees, perhaps cottonwoods and elms, teaming with catfish, muskrats and raccoons, so I’m told.  Soda Lake rippled with blue water in the breeze, and wore green food for deer along its edges.  I made that up, but it seems to follow from dull climatologically reading. 
















After five miles of dusty driving, I came to Zzyzx with its God-fearing history.  These natural ponds, an oasis in the desert are last remnants of more livable.













In the middle of last century a radio preacher discovered the deserted ponds and felt a divine calling to raise them to their highest and best, for the glory of God.  Curtis 'Doc' Springer brought the gospel and homeopathic healing to the desert with a health center, perhaps thinking that no one would care where a preacher built a small town on so vast an openness.









Curtis 'Doc' Springer



Springer invented the name Zzyzx to ensure it the last listing in any directory of health services.  He thought, beyond almost anyone’s sense of reason, that being listed last added to importance or would be easier to find.  














Main street, Zzyzx
The healer and preacher attracted much attention and built a thriving business for ailing believers that lasted thirty years.  The American Medical Association gave Springer the dubious title, "King of Quacks."  He built the spa on land he didn't own, and was evicted in 1974, arrested for food and drug law violations and spent several months in jail.  He retired to Las Vegas and died in 1986.  








Today, Springer’s facilities serve a research center that studies natural environments scientifically, perhaps without divine intervention, who knows for sure.  Often, the history of a rural place shows two village cultures fading into each other, but in Zzyzx, the new culture seems to have completely displaced the old. Picture 028


In my next posting, perhaps tomorrow, you’ll feel what hiking in the silence of open desert is like, at least I hope to bring you along.

16 comments:

  1. Hmmmmzzyyxxxmmm! That's quite a revealing post. I had always wondered what it had meant. I'm sorry for the doctor who may have likely been quite successful and helpful until the FDA decided he was getting away with life (instead of murder...get it?). Now I didn't guess the word but I demand by right EPA Code 2356, Section 2917 that possession of an object of inestimable worth must be distributed to local poets in the vicinity. Eh?

    Beautiful pics Sharon. Wink at a star for me, will ya? Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right, Lois, about ‘Doc’ Springer bringing life, getting away with it, or improving it for some of his clients. I don’t doubt that divine healing or homeopathic cures really happen. Thirty years is a long time not to be brought up for doing real harm. All they had on him was trespassing and illegal medical practices. I may be just as in violation of the code you cite for distributing objects of inestimable worth to local poets in the vicinity.

      Delete
  2. Love this post and especially the three surviving palm trees, sturdy, stout, and in full costume (x y and z) They are so lovely and remind me of a small meeting of poets. Looking forward to more of your solitude. Love also the natural ponds, oasis... it looks like our bird refuge in Santa Barbara... and mountains beyond. love into your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. x, y, and z was my guess on the three dimensional nature of a place named Zzyzx, but Doc Springer had other dimensions in mind. The palms stand in contrast to stark rock and naked sand in most of the low desert; they seem to know what to write.

      Delete
  3. I deleted my comment because I had a typo

    FOUR TIMES NOW I'M TRYING TO COMMENT. ~ Actually, with the delete ... this is FIVE

    I'll be 'really' brief as this one may fly into cyber air too. Thanks for tagging us along, we'll miss you here in the mountains on Saturday and thanks for making me laugh with this account "Soda Lake rippled with blue water in the breeze, and wore green food for deer along its edges. I made that up, but it seems to follow from dull climatologically reading." Love, Junnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Junnie, I'm sorry you're having trouble posting a comment here. You are not the only one. You have a username and login and have used it just fine as far as I can see. The way I do it is to type my comment in the open box first, or copy and paste it there. Then select your account in the drop-down box. Then hit "Publish" If you will email me the details of your posting attempts, I will try to address them.

      I wish I could join you at your mountain home on Saturday, but will think of you as I attempt to climb Mt. Charleston around that time.

      Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  4. always wanted to make that turn, nobody else ever has. Now I want to go to Zzykes, yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you will reopen it with your healing poetry and sly, comical preaching, Dalton.

      Delete
  5. Yes. I think Zzyzx is the sound my cat makes when there is no wet food anywhere in the house and I have come home again empty handed. He greets me at the door disapprovingly and utters this.

    alternatively, it is the sound I make when my computer for the umpteenth time fails to attach a file and or fails to open a file and utterly refuses to be obliging in any way.

    of course, i did not look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Susan, this just makes me miss you all the more. Zzyzx is the sound poets make when they think Susan might come visit, but then... no... but yet it might also me the sound made, with a totally different inflection, when they read something Susan wrote like this and they really enjoy it, but hope she gets with the wet food for the cat and the computer gets some more brains! ... xoxo don't you think so too, Sharon?

      Delete
    2. Yes, Kathabela, I think so too.

      Susan, your cat and your computer seem likeminded with Curtis Springer, when he left it all behind and started a healing retreat on the desert. You might consider that; I know you would find peace in the millions of lights that adorn the night sky.

      And Kathabela is right when she says “zzyzx” and comes to join you.

      Delete
  6. humph. sounds like a plan to me. kathabela, sharon, what the heck lets add lois too, millions of lights adorning the sky, and the whole buzzing, electrifying je ne sais quo is which fills the air and the cactus needles with zinging effervescence repeating over and over Zzyzx,, Zxyzx, Zzyzx. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured the starry night would arouse desire, Susan, but zinging effervescence might intrude a bit on my silent night with all those sparkling lights. But who knows once we get into it.

      Delete
  7. From Mimi's Hubby... HI! Very nice photos of Soda Lake area! I have a fond attraction to Zzyzx and have been there many times...probably 1,000 hours worth. I am perhaps the only person "Mad" enough to have deliberately hiked across soda lake (twice) in the dead heat of summer with a 70 pound pack. Quite an experience. I don't really recommend it to others! I just DON'T WANT you to feel sorry or sympathetic for that old schemer and liar CURTIS SPRINGER. He was neither a medical nor homeopathic doctor nor an ordained preacher either. He was false about just about everything in his life...he lived on other people's money, especially the elderly and sick. He even tried to cheat people by selling them government property he didn't own. His main spirituality was the spirit of getting money & glory. --Desertgator

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mimi's Hubby,
    Thanks for stopping by and reading, and for your comments on Zzyzx. I have been exploring Mojave National Preserve for over a week, and will be here for another week or two. I wonder if you work at the desert research center in Zzyzx. If so, I would be happy to go there again and meet you. Perhaps you would show me some of the projects being studied. I am interested in anything scientific or artistic.
    Sharon Hawley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't work there but the long-time caretaker (who has a M.S. in Biology) is a buddy and I know the area so well because I have
      taken so many courses and attended science symposiums there...plus a lifetime hiking & 4WD trips in the Mojave, etc. I understand how you can love the desert; so do I. I, too, enjoy the silence. It is amazing, but there really is beauty in the desolation. I thought of applying to work there, but I don't think my wife was quite ready to move to Baker! Enjoy your trip & all the history you learn. oh--and you do take nice photos. ...Signed, Desertgator P.S. There are some petroglyphs along Zzyzx Rd. near those palm trees you photographed.

      Delete