Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Boulder Dam




Before they built the dam in 1931, two things were needed—diversion tunnels to carry the Colorado River around the dam site, and a railroad to carry huge pipes and equipment to the site.  Today, the railroad tracks have been removed, but you can still ride a bicycle where locomotives used to puff black smoke.  












Five tunnels are now home to bats serve as passages for walkers and cyclists willing to put in some effort to avoid spending ten dollars and waiting in line to park.













Views of lake Mead along the way are quite pleasant, if you can forget that it covers a lost and irrecoverable world of slot canyons and native habitats.













I arrived at the dam in time for the first tour down to the power generators.











One of the 17 armatures,
removed for repair.

Each of the seventeen generators produces 130 megawatts.  Together, they produce enough for a million houses.  Just think, if we had 250 of these we would have no worries about electricity.













Here is the new parking structure seen from its entrance and looking down on it from the railroad grade which I cycled.















Sunset from the motel.

11 comments:

  1. You didn't mention whether you encountered any bats or not. It's the perfect time of year for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to the railroad tunnels. Something to see now that they have ruined the dam tour. Heck, they don't even make all the dam jokes anymore. You know, about the dam workers, the dam elevator, the dam turbines, etc and forever. Nice thing about dams is all those dam jokes. Now it seems all they want to talk about is their dam parking structure and that it took more concrete than the dam to build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dalton, I did not hear anything about the dam parking structure having more concrete than the dam. I posted two pictures of it, and cant imagine it having anywhere near as much concrete. Also, the tour guide did not tell a single dam joke, a dam shame.

      Delete
  3. You knew I was going to say this... the best views are from your motel window!! Exquisite sunset. I do love the tunnel views too. Lake Mead ~ with its mysterious hidden pasts... The generators look like colorful toys... but I am sure they are serious and enormous. Yes, and as Taura says... the bats. I am wondering if you got some close encounters with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No close encounters with bats, as I said to Taura, above. The generators turn silently; all you see moving is their shafts. They could be toys of monsters getting little electric excitements from tops.

      Delete
  4. Oh, and I forgot your dam fine writing. Always a joy and adventure to tag along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, you'd find me kicking back and enjoying the sunset ~ not sure about the other dam stuff. Your dam cycles keep us quite entertained in our vicarious positions here at our keyboards in cozy surroundings. Yes, as Dalton says " Always a joy and adventure to tag along."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay, Junnie. What you do with my wanderings makes more sense than my doing them. They have all been done before, I could research and post my findings; it might even be better that way. Yes, it makes no sense.

      Delete
  6. I've been to this historic dam many times, but I haven't seen the new bridge. Interesting that you called it Boulder Dam rather than the official Hoover Dam. Boulder was (of course) the name given to it when Herbert Hoover was an unpopular president blamed for the Great Depression. You must not be a Republican. I come from a boring conservative Republican family and so have always been a radical Democrat. -- Lee Collins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the name Boulder Dam because it describes the way it was built, with large boulders placed in the concrete to lower cost.

      Delete