Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley

Friday, October 10, 2014

A Day in the Life of a Desert Rat


“Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.”-- Benjamin Franklin  

I would like to think that I obtain the former, but I know it’s just vanity. 



In the dark before morning, I rise and turn on the motel coffeemaker, dress in kaki and brown, put on high-top Wolverine boots with thick knobby souls.  In twenty minutes I start the jeep and head for absence of people.  I haven’t talked to anyone today.  You are the first.  I have instead responded to nature, with only the drives to and fro as interludes back to traditional culture.  Out there I wandered in Aztec Sandstone again, which you heard about in my post called Keystone Thrust on 10/4.









Just a small piece of the Aztec Sandstone
 shows red under the old limestone
Again, the Cambrian limestone has been pushed up at an acute angle, where it slid over and above the younger sandstone, and has done so for some fifty miles.  These are the last pictures you will see of old limestone resting on sandstone.  The rest of the day we are deep in Mesozoic sand, wind-blown, and hardened into rock.  It is interesting that the sandstone of Zion Park and many other sites east of here is called Navajo.  It’s the same age and kind as the Aztec Sandstone and hails from the same dunes that covered the western United States.  They are the same, just studied by different geologists. 








A herd of rocks cascading down a gully, sand particles grinding off to become dunes perhaps, or river sand.  To become sandstone again?  How many times has this happened?  I feel like a grain of sand on the surface of the red earth.  













The Aztec Sandstone with its many colors was all red once, colored with iron rich minerals.  The rainbow of colors came to us later, with migrating groundwater carrying various minerals with many pigments.  












Were it not for the slow, gnawing forces of erosion, these artistic curves would not be among us, tantalizing us to wonder how simple rain and wind carves figures of strange beauty.

















Whatever you imagine in these curves, it all came to us by random acts of the laws of nature.  Or did it?














Enter with me now a slot canyon, where gushes of water, like flushes of a giant toilet, at intervals of about a hundred years, carved it a little more each time.

















Writing with photographs is a step removed from the actual experience.  There is no way I can take you totally with me.  But I try to bring you as close as possible.  


Other than to amuse ourselves, why should we pretend to know where we are going or to understand what we see?  Rocks eroded into wonderful shapes. 

10 comments:

  1. Oh knobby souled one. I was wandering shoeless, deep in the erosion of my dune laden mind when I read your blog and suddenly was transported to a time, years ago when I walked Red Rock canyon during the sunset hour. Now I can see a poem resting there like a dropped hankie. Lead on, rap on, rappel on. Enjoying these photo poems immensely. ~ Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy, Lois, that you go the connection between knobby boots and a knobby soul, seeing the way I spelled "soul." It feels good when someone reads me that way.

      Your dune-laden mind is a soft, compassionate mind in my experience on the dunes. A dropped hankie, a poem left where memory left it years ago. Rap on!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, Mandy, good to see you here. The red rocks are truly shapely and beautiful.

      Delete
  3. Sharon, your accounts are educational (don't give me quizzes, just trust that I note they are 'educational') Because they contain so much material I think others would find interest in, I've passed your blogspot address along to a few others who might actually enjoy quizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Junnie, my blog is public, thanks for passing it along.

      Delete
  4. Wasn't it amazing to hear us reading your blog aloud moments after you finished writing it!! And accompanied by the Mojave flute! It seems like a dream. But it really happened. It was special to call you and share the distance amidst desert wind... We think we had the best Art Night show in Pasadena! And you were here! Thank you for the beautiful text and experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really appreciate your reading it aloud, and Rick on a desert flute.

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed your amusing comments on Las Vegas where sin is the golden mean. These red sandstone formations also appear in Nevada's
    Valley Of Fire park (which I assume you've been to, since you've been almost everywhere) It has small arches and also some petroglyphs and (oddly) a field of petrified wood. I've studied geology and was impressed by that fold in the mountains. A textbook example. Lee C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lee, you guessed it. I took these pictures in the Valley of fire, though I never mentioned it in the text. I saw a lot of petroglyphs and the petrified logs. I just can't fit everything into a short blog post. the fold in the mountains is the Muddy Mountain Thrust Fault.

      Delete