Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Another try for Piute Gorge



I feel privileged to be free enough from the cares of life, to allow three weeks of soirées to desert places.  And even more privileged, after failing an anticipated venture, to have the time to try again.  You may remember this picture from October 8, where I wanted to get into Piute Gorge, but turned back because I was afraid the falling rain might make the creek-crossings impassible on return.










A book describing places to visit in the Mojave National Preserve describes Piute Gorge as having the “only year-round stream in the East Mojave Desert,” and “a spectacular mile-long gorge for the geologist.”  The book advises that it is not easy to get to the trailhead for Piute Gorge, “a four-wheel-drive vehicle is necessary,” and the rough road is ten miles long.  It further says that from the trailhead, there is a “use trail” which is often hard to find, and some scrambling is required.  A website shows these pictures, from someone who made it into the gorge. With that enticement, and time on my hands, how could I not make a second attempt. 














I drove from Las Vegas to Searchlight, Nevada, crossed the line into California, and again found the unmarked dirt road 5.5 miles south of the border.  I won’t tell you again about the deep sand and explain that four-wheel-drive truly is needed.










 I drove eight miles in an hour-and-a-half and made it to within two miles of the trailhead.  There, I looked at a steep rocky jeep trail proceeding into the mountains.  This is the way roads were before they were graded, graveled and even paved.  I had made it close to the trailhead and could make it all the way, even if I had to walk.  I had done it!  These were my growing thoughts as I parked the jeep in the hot sunbaked hills west of Highway 95. 

I can’t say that driving a jeep on roads like this is fun.  Some people think it is, but for me it’s just a necessity for wilderness experience.  I decided that walking would be just as fast and might avoid damaging my almost-new jeep.  And nice walk it was.  I was finally and thrillingly isolated from all humanity and fully on my own.  






The trail started out along a hillside overlooking Piute gorge.  I didn’t see the promised running water, but the green cottonwoods in these pictures are sure indicators of plentiful water.











The trail petered out after a mile, and I spent an hour looking for it.  Surely it would drop into the gorge, so I scrambled down a little dry-wash into the Piute Gorge, hoping to find the trail in the bottom.  A small trickle of water was flowing among the trees, just as the book said.  But the underbrush was so thick I could not proceed upstream.  So I climbed back up the side to look again for the trail.  







I proceeded parallel to the gorge, along the mountainside, looking for a trail.  Soon the slope became too steep to continue.  I climbed higher, looking for a passable route, but found none. I sat down to think.  My thinking seemed all grainy and sluggish from hard walking and from having slipped on the loose rubble a few times.  I was not injured, but considered the consequences if I were.  How frail the human body is against all that is sharp and hard.  If there was a trail into the gorge, I could not find it.  If I had hoped to prove my independence, I had done just the opposite.  These pictures are from the end of my ability go further.  I looked into Piute Gorge from far above, but could not find a way in. 




Having made my way bumpily, into this remote place, I made it bumpily back out.  I drove back to Searchlight and bought a breakfast of poached eggs and toast, a celebration of being alive, and having tried.






Back at the motel, a sunset outlining peaks.  

6 comments:

  1. Never heard of Piute Gorge as such. But then it seems impossible to get into without a high four wheeler. There's a lot of that intense blue mineral in that photo (if it isn't faked in color saturation) It would probably be a copper mineral (blues and greens). That would make it a Blue Azurite, or a Blue-Green Malachite. Certainly a rock hound mineral collector's dream color. Many of the copper minerals are very hard and polish up real nice. Well, don't get stuck in the sand. Lee C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, I presume that the blue you refer to is in the two pictures that I copied from someone who had reportedly been in Piute Gorge (the second two pictures). I do not see blue in the pictures I took, but of course mine are zoomed into the gorge from high above. I think you should go there and solve the mystery, since I was unable to do so.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful images you succeeded in gathering ...the blues and purples especially... however you got them there. Many of your photos look like out of a dream! My prompt on TPOS today is "goals and how they work for you". I think you and I use them. And find them exhilarating and work hard ...in different ways. We both know though to loosen our grip when we can to make room for the unforseen and impossible. The most amazing things appear then. Some are here and some to come I am sure. Your sunset as usual wonderful ...though your blue and purple visions equally amazing... thank you for sharing your day for persevering and for getting back safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, getting back safe is major consideration. The farther I get from where I might be found if anything goes wrong, the more I think about getting back safe, and become more cautious. The overlook into Piute Gorge was such a place.

      Delete
  3. Perhaps the illusive gorge may no longer have a detectable path. Maybe it was eroded somehow. Or maybe it's a time warp and the closer you get the further away it moves. You get my vote for persistence. I appreciate you doing all the heavy lifting. I come here for R&R without nary a scratch : D My favorite pic is the one on the second row to the right. Looks like rainbow rock! ~ Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve tried to explain it, Lois, how a trail can be described on the web by someone who was purportedly there and posted pictures, and after two hours of looking for it, I come up stranded on a high bluff looking down at it bewildered. At least neither of us have any serious scratches. Your favorite pic is not mine, as you know, the guy’s who posted the way in.

      Delete