Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

My Sordid Past


Mercury, Nevada, a closed city,
60 miles north of Las Vegas
where I and about 10,000 others lived and worked.

I made a discovery in Las Vegas that allows me to divulge a past that I have kept secret since the 1970’s.  Heretofore, the world might have been destroyed if I had revealed what I am about to tell you.  Well, probably not, but as most of you know I have worked for civil engineering firms for most of a career that is mostly ended now.  Being single and less expensive to relocate, they often sent me to far-flung assignments, or loaned me to other companies as temporary needs arose, including the Atomic Energy Commission. 















An underground test about to be begin.
I might have drawn plans for the roads shown here.
 
A nuclear device being
lowered into a hole for testing.
Oh, I did not make bombs, but at the Nevada Test Site, I drew plans for roads and waterlines to serve the testing of nuclear devices.

I could not take any pictures, or remove anything from the site, not even my notes, or even discuss the projects I worked on with anyone not in a particular group.  Over the years, I was never sure how much had been declassified, so I simply didn’t talk about it and tried to forget. 














The crater left after a test because
a great cavity, 5,000 feet deep, collapsed.


But I cannot forget the rumble of ground, the shaking of our safe room, at the very time they said it would happen.  Then after the “all clear,” returning to my desk to find a few things toppled over.




















Aerial view of an area called Jackass Flat. 
The round depressions are collapsed ground
from underground nuclear tests.

I visited the Atomic Testing Museum in Las Vegas to see how much the public was being shown of our episodes and secret lives, and to assume that anything shown there I could talk about.  All of the pictures included here are from the museum.  


















I drew the plans for facilities like this where low-level waste was packed into barrels, and buried.  It was radioactive, but not at levels high enough to justify placing deep in solid rock tunnels.  












A nuclear rocket engine being transported to the test site. 

Most my work was not for underground tests, but rather for nuclear rocket engines.  Chemical rockets have served us well, but the relatively low amount of energy they deliver for a given mass of fuel imposes severe restrictions on spacecraft.  Nuclear rockets, in contrast, could greatly reduce the time in getting to mars and the outer planets.  The spacecraft, with its nuclear thrusters, would be launched atop a conventional chemical rocket.  Then, once the payload is in orbit, the nuclear reactor would start up.

But testing them on the ground would expose everyone to radioactivity.  So we designed a deluge of water spraying into the exhaust, and collected it with the radioactivity, and then treated it.  







I cannot return to Mercury; it’s still a secret place, though mostly abandoned, I hear.  But telling my story was a very therapeutic exercize for me.  I now hold one less memory that I am unable to tell anyone about. 



Near the museum is this contorted building, for which I take no responsibility.  It is the Cleveland Clinic Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health, and I question the mental health of its designer.  Part of it really is a building, but part is cleverly placed facade to appear as one structure. 

14 comments:

  1. Wow Sharon, you saw my brain building and I take all the responsibility! (Actually Fran Gehry did it--the same designer of Disney hall in LA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Gehry as I am sure you know...) We are poised to go to Santa Barbara this morning, will come back and read all your secrets closely Smiles from Kathabela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A twisted experience in the brain, seeing that. Maybe they get more customers for their services, people wanting to improve their brain health, just from the drive-by lookers, like me.

      Delete
  2. Sharon, you are endlessly intriguing and amazing! What a fascinating epoch and area of discipline to have been involved with! And I agree with you entirely about that building! It looks like it should be the ToonTown Hospital or something equally Disneyesque, with Goofy meeting one at the front door in polka dot scrubs! Lol! Thanks you for all these posts and letting us travel with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wondered about people who offer services in brain health, or other names for talking through psychological issues. Contortions like this building might be soothing to some, provocative to others, inspiring, lolthesome, ridiculous to still others. To me, it just doesn't seem worth the great cost.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sharon. Now we know where you were during those years... out on the frontier of great and terrifying. What a time, what a place. We want to hear more about it,
    and about your work.
    I wish I'd been at the museum with you. Thank you for your story and for the photos.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did not seem great or terrifying at the time, Liz. My contributions were in logistical support, not in the thrust of those projects. My work was quite ordinary, same as I have done for years in support of civil engineering projects.

      Delete
  4. Wow! To think you were out there in a safe room. How exciting! I want to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were minor controlled earthquakes, Taura. Of the 237 underground tests conducted, I was there for about ten of them. The real excitement was the nuclear rocket tests. If politics had not shut down that idea, there might be, as we speak, Old Chicks in Space. Liz can fill you in on that if she hasn't already.

      Delete
  5. Read your secrets aloud to Rick this time no flute accompaniment! He was driving us to Santa Barbara. Very interesting he said and I think it is great you could tell the story. Now we are in Santa Barbara so you came along from desert to ocean. Fascinating past you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a young relative who works in special forces. He goes for months at a time, and when he returns he says nothing about where he has been. I always tell him that I understand. It's lonely work that way.

      Delete
  6. Day- to-day, your job may have seemed as you say 'ordinary' but to us onlookers in this moment, since this strays from the life voyage of most of us who are following along with you, 'that' job and its surrounding elements seem to be a lot higher caliber than the word 'ordinary' implies. But, I surely can 'hear' your simple insistence that this job fits that terminology. That's part of your magic, Sharon ~ living an extraordinary life and being so 'even' emotionally about it. LOVE THE SHARING ... and I feel peace in knowing this from you "I now hold one less memory that I am unable to tell anyone about"
    Bravo' for another intriguing account
    Junnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nicely said, Junnie, and it makes me feel important. But most jobs are that way, if taken seriously, I think. I'm glad that this was the only secret assignment that I had, but there is often a place for not talking, for respecting interests of the higher good. Small talk has gotten me into trouble a few times.

      Delete
  7. Now I've discovered how make my blog work I can't stop. The Cleveland Clinic For Brain Health is near the atomic testing site and looks melted? Or is it closer to Las Vegas where every building has to look more oddly melodramatic than the next. I was always amused that radiation filled winds from atomic testing always drifted east over into religious Utah (to deliver cancer, mostly to children) and rarely south toward sin filled Las Vegas. Does that mean there is or is not a God? --Lee C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it means that rain falls on the just and the unjust and so does radioactive fallout. Interesting idea about the brain health center looking melted as if by nuclear testing. Interesting too is that the same architect designed the Disney Music Hall in Los angeles.

      Delete