Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Castle Peaks

How much time, money and effort are justified in reaching a goal?  It depends on the goal, you say. 

Suppose you’re nearing the end of a month-long stay on the Mojave Desert and all of the hot spots (the really important rocks and cacti you wanted to see) have been visited, photographed, and mostly posted on your website. 

So it was that I might have spent a bit more resources getting to Castle Peaks than it was worth.  But that’s a judgment call.  It depends on how enjoyable a destination is and how much I enjoy the journey.  It also depends on how much I might learn, and on more subtle aspects of being alone doing something that is difficult and undone by almost everyone.  After reading on, I ask your opinions.




Castle Peaks is a cluster of spires at the northeast end of the New York Mountains in Mojave Natioinal Preserve.  It takes an hour from Las Vegas just to get to the end of the paved road.  From here I had only begun.













Most of another hour brings you to the end of a graded dirt road, to where four-wheel- drive is needed.  And still you are not even close to Castle Peaks.












The faithful jeep climbed for another hour into the mountains, without complaining, spinning its tires a little and hesitating only a few times, seemingly happy with the challenge.  All the time, it was showing me some lovely flowers and bushes of the higher elevations.













But the jeep could not go all the way.  I continued with backpack and plenty of water, trudging higher, and finally came to the first good view of Castle Peaks.











Granite of mostly quattz and feldspar
andesite - volcanic rock


The rocks up here are igneous, either intrusions of granite, in which prospectors have searched for gold, or andesites of lavas and volcanoes.
















Finally, I stood on a ridge just below the vertical faces of the spires.  Here, I realized that I had driven and climbed as far as I dared go.  From here, it was a long trip home.

4 comments:

  1. Another place I've never been, but it looks difficult to get to. Probably a variety of very hard igneous intrusive. Maybe the interior of some ancient volcano to stand up in a tower like that (that's what Shiprock in N.M. is). Thanks for photographing it for me to admire, although the name Castle is certainly overused. Many Castle rocks were probably named by unimaginative cowboys, miners or overworked mapmakers. ---Lee Collins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hike to Castle Peaks was not difficult, at least to the ridge where I stopped. Past there, I lost the trail, but was ready to return anyway. It has been a common tale in Mojave National Preserve to read about a trail, which I lose, and after some hunting for it, still can’t find. I am thinking that the trails were once maintained, and have been left mostly unused for too long.

      Delete
  2. I hope it has been a rich experience, and worth your work, it seems so by the wealth you have brought us. Look forward to welcoming you home and hosting your always fine programs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kath, It has been a good trip and will be good to drive home tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete